The Decline In Competing Drum and Bugle Corps.
Jim On The Move
2006-08-21 03:59:36 UTC
Did a little research, but you can check for yourself at corpsreps.com.

At the 1969 VFW Nationals there were about 60 great corps fighting it
out for the top 12 spots. I was there. The level of each corps was
INCREDIBLE!! At the DCI 75 prelims there were about 46 corps. In 1983
quarter finals about 27-30. In the mid 90's about 25. In 2006 quarter
finals about 17-20. I guess if you factor in division II the numbers
will go up a little. Why the dramatic decline?? Hmmmm?
drummer4life
2006-08-21 04:53:23 UTC
Post by Jim On The Move
Did a little research, but you can check for yourself at corpsreps.com.
At the 1969 VFW Nationals there were about 60 great corps fighting it
out for the top 12 spots. I was there. The level of each corps was
INCREDIBLE!! At the DCI 75 prelims there were about 46 corps. In 1983
quarter finals about 27-30. In the mid 90's about 25. In 2006 quarter
finals about 17-20. I guess if you factor in division II the numbers
will go up a little. Why the dramatic decline?? Hmmmm?
Yes i know,i remember back in the eighty's when i marched it was major
accomplishment to make the top 25.
john
Dan Saeger
2006-08-21 05:24:51 UTC
Post by Jim On The Move
Did a little research, but you can check for yourself at corpsreps.com.
At the 1969 VFW Nationals there were about 60 great corps fighting it
out for the top 12 spots. I was there. The level of each corps was
INCREDIBLE!! At the DCI 75 prelims there were about 46 corps. In 1983
quarter finals about 27-30. In the mid 90's about 25. In 2006 quarter
finals about 17-20. I guess if you factor in division II the numbers
will go up a little. Why the dramatic decline?? Hmmmm?
You state the obvious so go start a corps of your own. I'm serious,
it's a great undertaking. But if you're not serious about it, then I'd
say that the only reason why you are here is to complain about how
"bad" things are and to look for other people to whine along with you.
I'm with a corps that's only a few years old.
the OTHER Mike
2006-08-21 06:24:37 UTC
Post by Dan Saeger
Post by Jim On The Move
Did a little research, but you can check for yourself at corpsreps.com.
At the 1969 VFW Nationals there were about 60 great corps fighting it
out for the top 12 spots. I was there. The level of each corps was
INCREDIBLE!! At the DCI 75 prelims there were about 46 corps. In 1983
quarter finals about 27-30. In the mid 90's about 25. In 2006 quarter
finals about 17-20. I guess if you factor in division II the numbers
will go up a little. Why the dramatic decline?? Hmmmm?
You state the obvious so go start a corps of your own. I'm serious,
it's a great undertaking. But if you're not serious about it, then I'd
say that the only reason why you are here is to complain about how
"bad" things are and to look for other people to whine along with you.
I'm with a corps that's only a few years old.
So are you speaking about a REAL drum & Bugle corps that plays on G
horns ? or, are talking about a "summer honor band" parading around as
a drum & bugle corps ?

If you're not serious about it, then I suggest you kiss my ass !
Jim On The Move
THE KEY OF G!!
Dan Saeger
2006-08-21 12:48:34 UTC
Post by the OTHER Mike
Post by Dan Saeger
Post by Jim On The Move
[...]
No, we're playing on G. It's not a matched set, but we do the best
with what we've got. btw, G or Bb it's still drum and bugle corps to
me ('cause it's what you do on the field that counts).
Post by the OTHER Mike
If you're not serious about it, then I suggest you kiss my ass !
So since I'm playing on G, I guess that makes your whole statement here
a load of crap.
the OTHER Mike
2006-08-21 12:59:53 UTC
Post by Dan Saeger
Post by the OTHER Mike
Post by the OTHER Mike
If you're not serious about it, then I suggest you kiss my ass !
So since I'm playing on G, I guess that makes your whole statement here
a load of crap.
I guess my statement is NOT a load of crap if you think Summer Honor
Marching Band and Drum & Bugle corps playing on G horns are the same.
By your logic, drill teams, dance teams, fife corps and WGI are all
Drum Corps ?

QUOTE: > No, we're playing on G. It's not a matched set, but we do the
best
Post by Dan Saeger
with what we've got.
I understand well and applaude your efforts, it's a tough road to hoe

QUOTE >btw, G or Bb it's still drum and bugle corps to
Post by Dan Saeger
me ('cause it's what you do on the field that counts).
BAHAHAHAH, then I would think that you agree that the Cadets are a
Summer Honor MArching Band on all levels ?
Dan Saeger
2006-08-21 16:59:44 UTC
Post by the OTHER Mike
Post by Dan Saeger
Post by the OTHER Mike
Post by the OTHER Mike
If you're not serious about it, then I suggest you kiss my ass !
So since I'm playing on G, I guess that makes your whole statement here
a load of crap.
..
Post by the OTHER Mike
I guess my statement is NOT a load of crap if you think Summer Honor
Marching Band and Drum & Bugle corps playing on G horns are the same.
By your logic, drill teams, dance teams, fife corps and WGI are all
Drum Corps ?
Now that is a real stretch. You equate the performances of drill
teams, dance teams, fife corps and wgi with drum corps? Never. What a
dumb thing for you to say.
Post by Dan Saeger
me ('cause it's what you do on the field that counts).
BAHAHAHAH, then I would think that you agree that the Cadets are a
Summer Honor MArching Band on all levels ?
No, I pretty much hated the Cadets this year. Any time there are amps,
featured singing and all of the other silly crap that they put on the
field I get real close to saying some bad things (in the stadium). It
angers me that they could put that BS on the field and expect us to
accept that kind of garbage. But, if you peeled away all of that junk
that the Cadets staff burdened the horns and battery with, you'd find a
D&BC. Even only seeing them one time this year (in the theater) I saw
flashes of the genius D&BC that the Cadets are. I just do not like, at
all, to have to look through all of that other stuff...

It's what you do on the field that counts.

Dan
Ron Allard
2006-08-22 05:30:10 UTC
Post by Dan Saeger
It's what you do on the field that counts.
Dan
Really?
I disagree...
--
Ron in Florida

"Because there was always something about the Skyliners...
and that music..."
- Donnie Solinger

Diceman Radio: 24/7 Old Time Drum Corps
Dialup:
http://www.live365.com/stations/diceman719
Broadband:
http://www.live365.com/stations/diceman719h

Senior Corps History site:
http://www.SrCorps.com
Dan Saeger
2006-08-22 17:12:57 UTC
Post by Ron Allard
Post by Dan Saeger
It's what you do on the field that counts.
Dan
Really?
I disagree...
I've been known to do that sometimes.
http://www.SrCorps.com
Jim On The Move
2006-08-21 07:06:47 UTC
Post by Dan Saeger
Post by Jim On The Move
Did a little research, but you can check for yourself at corpsreps.com.
At the 1969 VFW Nationals there were about 60 great corps fighting it
out for the top 12 spots. I was there. The level of each corps was
INCREDIBLE!! At the DCI 75 prelims there were about 46 corps. In 1983
quarter finals about 27-30. In the mid 90's about 25. In 2006 quarter
finals about 17-20. I guess if you factor in division II the numbers
will go up a little. Why the dramatic decline?? Hmmmm?
You state the obvious so go start a corps of your own. I'm serious,
it's a great undertaking. But if you're not serious about it, then I'd
say that the only reason why you are here is to complain about how
"bad" things are and to look for other people to whine along with you.
I'm with a corps that's only a few years old.
These are facts not complaints. Know the difference. Starting another
corps? Yes, I'm currently involved in that, too.
Dan Saeger
2006-08-21 17:08:41 UTC
Post by Jim On The Move
Post by Dan Saeger
Post by Jim On The Move
[...]
I know the difference. However your statement of "Why the dramatic
decline?? Hmmmm?" is not a fact. And the whole nature of your post is
just throwing out bait to start a complaining discussion and to look
for other whiners to comiserate along with you. If you want to be
taken seriously, then include some ideas as to why you think so many
corps have gone dark. My initial thoughts would be economics and a
changing society in and out of drum corps.

Dan
(btw, if it matters, I'm 43 and have been around the activity my whole
life)
Stu
2006-08-23 18:31:30 UTC
Post by Dan Saeger
Post by Jim On The Move
At the 1969 VFW Nationals there were about 60 great corps fighting it
out for the top 12 spots. I was there. The level of each corps was
INCREDIBLE!! At the DCI 75 prelims there were about 46 corps. In 1983
quarter finals about 27-30. In the mid 90's about 25. In 2006 quarter
finals about 17-20. I guess if you factor in division II the numbers
will go up a little. Why the dramatic decline?? Hmmmm?
Because drum corps is going to die with you.
Post by Dan Saeger
You state the obvious so go start a corps of your own. I'm serious,
it's a great undertaking. But if you're not serious about it, then I'd
say that the only reason why you are here is to complain about how
"bad" things are and to look for other people to whine along with you.
I'm with a corps that's only a few years old.
If you have a corps of your own, why are you wasting time here?

Stuart E. Rice
www.marchingresearch.com
w***@yahoo.com
2019-01-20 16:35:28 UTC
Ron Allard
2006-08-21 11:36:25 UTC
Post by Jim On The Move
Did a little research, but you can check for yourself at corpsreps.com.
At the 1969 VFW Nationals there were about 60 great corps fighting it
out for the top 12 spots. I was there. The level of each corps was
INCREDIBLE!! At the DCI 75 prelims there were about 46 corps. In 1983
quarter finals about 27-30. In the mid 90's about 25. In 2006 quarter
finals about 17-20. I guess if you factor in division II the numbers
will go up a little. Why the dramatic decline?? Hmmmm?
The 1930 and 1931 American Legion Championships had 60 (senior) corps in
Prelims...
1964 World Open had 55 corps (13 seniors, 42 juniors)...
1969 WO had at least 51 (I only have info on the Class B Finals, not Prelims)
The 1975 US Open had 68 corps in Prelims

BTW, I show 20 corps competing in the 1969 VFW Prelims, but there were 54 in
1965...

http://www.SrCorps.com
drummer4life
2006-08-21 12:01:06 UTC
Post by Ron Allard
Post by Jim On The Move
Did a little research, but you can check for yourself at corpsreps.com.
At the 1969 VFW Nationals there were about 60 great corps fighting it
out for the top 12 spots. I was there. The level of each corps was
INCREDIBLE!! At the DCI 75 prelims there were about 46 corps. In 1983
quarter finals about 27-30. In the mid 90's about 25. In 2006 quarter
finals about 17-20. I guess if you factor in division II the numbers
will go up a little. Why the dramatic decline?? Hmmmm?
The 1930 and 1931 American Legion Championships had 60 (senior) corps in
Prelims...
1964 World Open had 55 corps (13 seniors, 42 juniors)...
1969 WO had at least 51 (I only have info on the Class B Finals, not Prelims)
The 1975 US Open had 68 corps in Prelims
BTW, I show 20 corps competing in the 1969 VFW Prelims, but there were 54 in
1965...
Post by Jim On The Move
Drawing from the corps list at corpsreps.com, the following corps
called Central New York - the area between Albany and Rochester, home.
If I missed your corps let us know.
Post by Ron Allard
76ers - Syracuse
Appleknockers (Jr/Sr) - Geneva
Avant Garde - Saratoga Springs
Barnard Blue Devils (Sr) - Greece
Barons of Steuben - Corning
Canastota Saints (Sr) - Canastota
Emerald Knights - Saratoga Springs
Corsairs (Sr) - Elmira
Black Knights - Oswego
Empire State Grenadiers (Sr) - Cohoes
Boys of Syracuse - Syracuse
Excelsior (Sr) - Albany
Empire Statesmen - Rochester
Executives (Sr) - Utica
Castlemen - Conklin
Fort Plain Plainsmen (Sr) - Fort Plain
Cavaliers (Jr/Sr) - Rome
Gauchos (Jr/Sr) - Fulton
Duchtown Lacners - Rochester
Genesseans (Sr) - Rochester
Dynamic Statesmen - Rochester
Glove City Fusiliers (Sr) - Johnstown/Gloversville
Eagles - Verona
Yellow Jackets (Sr) - Gloversville
Emerald Cadets - Rochester
Interstate Ambassadors (Sr) - Olean
Emerald Statesmen - Rochester
Interstatesmen (Sr) - Troy
Empire State Express - Elmira Heights
Knights of Noble Callahan (Sr) - Troy
Firebirds - Rochester
Crusaders (Sr) - Rochester
Fusion - Rochester
Troubadors (Sr) - Mohawk
Grey Ghost - Verona
Oneida A.L. Post #169 (Sr) - Oneida
Grenadiers - Endicott
Oneida Redskins (Sr) - Oneida
Lake Regionairs - Monroe
Pathfinders (Sr) - Oswego
Lakeview Shoreliners - Rochester
Crusaders (Sr) - Prospect
Legion Cadets - Watkins Glen
Phoenix (Sr) - Rochester
Littlle Americans - Rochester
Black Knights (Sr) - Salamanca
Magnificent Yankees - Utica
Southern Tier Storm (Sr) - Owego
Mark Twain Cadets - Elmira Heights
Vagabonds (Sr) - Oswego
Mello-Dears - Owego
Syracuse Brigadiers (Sr) - Syracuse
Mighty Liberators - Rochester
Troy Defenders (Sr) - Troy
Northmen - Rochester
Utica Blackhawks (Sr) - Utica
Patriots - Rochester
Purple Lancers (Jr/Sr) - Auburn
Renegades - Lockport
Ridgerunners - Stanwix Heights Royaleers - Utica
Scott's Sabers - Rochester
Silver Bullets - Sylvan Beach
Sounds of Central NY - Syracuse
Spectrum - Corning
Speigleairs - Troy
Spirit of the Lakes - Canandaigua
Squires - Watkins Glen
Starlighters - Frankfort
Syracuse Marauders - Syracuse
Tiersmen - Hornell
Tri-Town Cadets - Castille
Troy Muchachos - Troy
Troy Skyliners -Troy
Valient Knights - Rensselaer
Volunteers - Troy
Yankee Marauders - Utica/Syracuse
Drumadiers - Wampsville
NanciD
2006-08-21 13:37:15 UTC
Post by drummer4life
Post by Ron Allard
[...]
Huh?? I don't understand the connection of this list to what they were
discussing above. Could you please explain?
--
NanciD

Historical Drum Corps Publications:
http://historical-drum-corps-publications.blogspot.com/

Your personal DJ (via email requests)
drummer4life
2006-08-21 23:24:51 UTC
Post by NanciD
Post by drummer4life
Post by Ron Allard
[...]
Sorry,I was just trying to demonstrate the overwhelming number of Drum
Corps in central NY ,now theres just a handful
NanciD
2006-08-22 00:22:11 UTC
Post by drummer4life
Post by NanciD
Post by drummer4life
Post by Ron Allard
[...]
No problem... I was just curious how you were relating going from A to C. lol
I'm from this area of NY.... sadly, I know all too well of the above list....

But, you are confusing old and new and no longer running with just getting
going. Did you mean to do that? Were you just trying to mention central NY corps
that are no longer? Or ALL Corps from this region of NY?

unknown
2006-08-22 03:13:37 UTC
Post by NanciD
Post by drummer4life
Post by NanciD
Post by drummer4life
Post by Ron Allard
76ers - Syracuse
Appleknockers (Jr/Sr) - Geneva
Avant Garde - Saratoga Springs
Barnard Blue Devils (Sr) - Greece
Barons of Steuben - Corning
Canastota Saints (Sr) - Canastota
Emerald Knights - Saratoga Springs
Corsairs (Sr) - Elmira
Black Knights - Oswego
Empire State Grenadiers (Sr) - Cohoes
Boys of Syracuse - Syracuse
Excelsior (Sr) - Albany
Empire Statesmen - Rochester
Executives (Sr) - Utica
<truncating the list>
Post by NanciD
Post by drummer4life
Post by NanciD
Post by drummer4life
Post by Ron Allard
[...]
...it would be a great study to gather info on what brought about the
demise of those corps on the list no longer active.

...a PHD study, eh?

cg
Skycabs
cg
Jim On The Move
2006-08-22 00:56:03 UTC
Post by Ron Allard
Post by Jim On The Move
Did a little research, but you can check for yourself at corpsreps.com.
At the 1969 VFW Nationals there were about 60 great corps fighting it
out for the top 12 spots. I was there. The level of each corps was
INCREDIBLE!! At the DCI 75 prelims there were about 46 corps. In 1983
quarter finals about 27-30. In the mid 90's about 25. In 2006 quarter
finals about 17-20. I guess if you factor in division II the numbers
will go up a little. Why the dramatic decline?? Hmmmm?
The 1930 and 1931 American Legion Championships had 60 (senior) corps in
Prelims...
1964 World Open had 55 corps (13 seniors, 42 juniors)...
1969 WO had at least 51 (I only have info on the Class B Finals, not Prelims)
The 1975 US Open had 68 corps in Prelims
BTW, I show 20 corps competing in the 1969 VFW Prelims, but there were 54 in
1965...
corpsreps does not have the complete list for the 1969 VFW Nationals. I got the list from a nice gentlemen at one of the oldstyle drum corps group. His name: McCooby
http://www.SrCorps.com
Ron Allard
2006-08-22 03:20:06 UTC
Post by Ron Allard
BTW, I show 20 corps competing in the 1969 VFW Prelims, but there were 54 in
1965...
corpsreps does not have the complete list for the 1969 VFW Nationals. I got the list from a nice gentlemen at one of the oldstyle drum corps group. His name: McCooby
I don't know if CorpsReps has the same list I have on my SrCorps.com site:
http://diceman.home.att.net/vfw1.htm
(I don't have anything to do with that area of Corpsreps; I just maintain the
senior repertoires database...)

I would be extremely interested in the list you have!
(Seriously; I'd like my/our History to be as accurate as possible)

If you want, we can take this to email: mine is ***@att.net

Thanks!

http://www.SrCorps.com
HNCadet
2006-08-23 03:06:44 UTC
Lee and Missy Wasson
2006-08-23 02:09:06 UTC
And my grandpap told me about the days when every VFW, Moose, Elks, and bar
in every little town had a big band playing on weekends.
And football had leather helmets... damn them for changing!
Times change. Kids have internet and Playstation now. It's geeky to be in
bands.... the reasons go on and on right down to "It's a conspiracy, and if
corps were like it was in 1965, we'd have 100's of them again".... yeah,
right.
</sarcasm>
Zorb
2006-08-23 07:07:06 UTC
On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 22:09:06 -0400, "Lee and Missy Wasson"
Post by Lee and Missy Wasson
And my grandpap told me about the days when every VFW, Moose, Elks, and bar
in every little town had a big band playing on weekends.
And football had leather helmets... damn them for changing!
Times change. Kids have internet and Playstation now. It's geeky to be in
bands.... the reasons go on and on right down to "It's a conspiracy, and if
corps were like it was in 1965, we'd have 100's of them again".... yeah,
right.
</sarcasm>
Well it was extremely 'geeky' to be in bands back then.
And there were 'other' things to do also.

Feldrew
2006-08-23 10:58:42 UTC
Post by Lee and Missy Wasson
And my grandpap told me about the days when every VFW, Moose, Elks, and bar
in every little town had a big band playing on weekends.
And football had leather helmets... damn them for changing!
Times change. Kids have internet and Playstation now. It's geeky to be in
bands.... the reasons go on and on right down to "It's a conspiracy, and if
corps were like it was in 1965, we'd have 100's of them again".... yeah,
right.
</sarcasm>
Well it was extremely 'geeky' to be in bands back then.
And there were 'other' things to do also.
perhaps some of the factors include:

1)cost to march / run a corps these days
2)the definition of popular music now as opposed to then, and the role
of the band/community band/d&b corp then vs. now
3)parental support for these types of endeavors (hey, I used to come
home and have to practice every day, as my own children do - but my
students in my school band - HA, do you think mom and dad would actually
MAKE them do something they didn't want to do? Sorry, but there's a
lot of spineless parents out there - I'm thankful for the ones who value
committment and hard work)
4)changing face of the social life of potential corps members (did NOT
have the distractions - electronics to peer social issues, and more -
that teens now encounter)
5)what society values - when was the last time the conductor of a
orchestra, or the drum major of a drum corps, was on the front page of a
newspaper? I'm not a sports fan, and I'm the exception in American male
society today. Can you imagine if for one year, we flipped the budgets
of musical organizations - orchestras, drum corps, community bands and
choirs - with major league sports teams? From a purely economical
standpoint, there's little money/profit in musical organizations (by no
means do I think that their worth is lessened, that's just a statement
of fact).

summation - society has changed, forms of entertainment and expression
have changed.

parallel consideration - I adore symphonic/classical music. I live 15
minutes from Philly's Kimmel Center. Love going there. But the
audience for symphony orchestra concerts continues to diminish - and the
tickets aren't cheap, either. I don't see future generations eagerly
embracing the music, regardless of how magical or brilliant it was/is.
I seriously question if 100 years down the road, there will be even 1/2
the number of orchestras (or any!) in America that we have today - and
most of todays orchestras are struggling at best.

Now Drum Corps - the organizations that once spawned the D&B corps have
declined and have a far diminished role in society e.g. what they gave
us follows the track of their organizations as well.

Wow - when you look at these things, it does not paint a pretty picture
for the future of arts and arts entertainment. I'm sure I've missed
plenty of things here but that's my 2cents, fwiw.
Dan Saeger
That was excellent.
Feldrew
2006-08-25 03:15:07 UTC
Post by Dan Saeger
Post by Lee and Missy Wasson
[...]
Thank you Dan - having been a public school music teacher (band, choir,
GM, percussion ensemble, instrumental lessons, marching band, jazz band)
for 19 years, it gives me a bit of perspective on the whole music in
society / popular culture and music education situation in our country.
I worry deeply about the future of music education, not from my own
position of concern for job security - instead, like most of the folks
in this NG, I had musical experiences which have helped to shape me in
every way, push me, inspire me, enable me to grow - and every child
should have the same opportunity. Some would say it's foolish to hold
on to marching music and symphonic music; others wish to preserve it at
all costs. Opinions aside, in the greater context of our society, I
just wonder if these things, along w/ public school music education,
will flourish or die out. If they do die out, how will that impact us
in the future?
unknown
2006-08-25 03:24:19 UTC
On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 23:15:07 -0400, Feldrew
Post by Feldrew
Post by Dan Saeger
[...]
...once upon a recent time I cautioned a bunch of young prisoners in a
marching block: "...BEWARE...BEWARE popular culture."

(All we gotta do is look back at our influences...sheesh, some of that
stuff is pretty damn dopey, eh?!)

cg
DRUMAJOR
2006-08-25 07:51:17 UTC
CHARLIE!
Post by unknown
...once upon a recent time I cautioned a bunch of young prisoners in a
marching block: "...BEWARE...BEWARE popular culture."
Now, that's the CG I met in West Covina, the CG I know who lurks
inside the protective mother-hen cg on ramd. IOW ... open their eyes
and whip out a huge can of Sheeple-Be-Gone. ;-()

ô¿ô
Mike
2006-08-23 18:46:05 UTC
Post by Zorb
Well it was extremely 'geeky' to be in bands back then.
And there were 'other' things to do also.
It was just as geeky to be in drum corps too. My non-band/corps friends
had NO idea why I would want to march around a field in a uniform
playing a drum.

Mike
Zorb
2006-08-23 22:58:39 UTC
Post by Mike
Post by Zorb
Well it was extremely 'geeky' to be in bands back then.
And there were 'other' things to do also.
It was just as geeky to be in drum corps too. My non-band/corps friends
had NO idea why I would want to march around a field in a uniform
playing a drum.
Mike
well....errrr, actually....I have to admit....I didn't tell anybody on
the "outside" 'cause I knew they'd never understand.

HNCadet
2006-08-24 03:15:10 UTC
Post by Mike
Post by Zorb
Well it was extremely 'geeky' to be in bands back then.
And there were 'other' things to do also.
It was just as geeky to be in drum corps too. My non-band/corps friends
had NO idea why I would want to march around a field in a uniform
playing a drum.
Mike
Don't know about that Mike, back in the early sixties there was a large
contingent of high school athletes marching with Garfield, these guys
wouldn't be caught dead in the band but they all had some musical talent
& loved the competition. Track stars, wrestlers, even some second string
all-league football and baseball guys wore the Maroon & Gold. It was a
different time, a lot of Renaissance men.

Speaking of the High School Band, did you know the head of the Music
Dept in Garfield back then was a Pat LaNeve? Definitely the geeky
woodwind type(hated the corp)... his nephew Mike was a snare drummer in
the late 60's who left the corp to play with "The Happenings"! Haven't
seen or heard from Mike in 5 years, hope he's OK.