Anyone know the Dundee Scots?
c***@gmail.com
2012-11-21 15:52:50 UTC
Has anyone ever heard of the Dundee Scots, from Dundee Illionois?
I had never heard of them, but the person who messaged me said that they were
very well known and that they had won some kind of nationals on several
occasions.
Please give me any information you may have. Will be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Andy
Andy, If you still are around I have tons of info on the band because I was in it for 5 years as a snare drummer.Let me know if you still need info. I have websites and people who can give you so much. Also you can often find us at DCI as the Dundee Scots and Dundee-Crown members were one big family and truly loved everything about making great music and competition.
j***@gmail.com
You can't mention the Dundee Scots without their legendary director, Doyle Heffron. The Scots were very successful, as were the Royal Cavaliers Youth Band, and Ron Coombs. As I recall, in the 70s, both bands had the pleasure of competing with, and losing to, the Rock Falls Marching Rockets under the direction of Richard C. Davis. The first director at Irving Crown was Ken Miller, the former director of the Dakota Marching Indians, who were mentored by Mr. Davis and some of the Marching Rockets. The Scots claim to fame centered around their three successive wins at the National Cherry Festival in Traverse City, Michigan. Mr. Heffron eventually became director of the Cherry Festival. I believe Mr. Miller remained at Crown until his retirement, and Mr. Davis eventually took a position in Iowa.
s***@gmail.com
Does anyone have video coverage of the band from the 70's? I was raised in Dundee and it was a town tradition back then to go to the games and of course, watch the Dundee Scots perform. The band was phenomenal! I graduated from Dundee in the 80's and was in the band for just one season. Such tremendous pride to wear those Scottish kilts! I really want to show people the band of yester-year...
d***@yahoo.com
Andy
d***@yahoo.com
Andy
d***@yahoo.com
I was a Rock Falls Marching Rocket. The Dundee Scotts were always tough competitors at competition. Great precision drilling and marching.
c***@gmail.com
My father attended Dundee highschool and was a Dundee Scot. He's showed me many pictures of him with the entire Scottish attire and his bagpipes. He said they were a very prestigious marching band and people loved watching them play
k***@gmail.com
Andy
k***@gmail.com
2015-06-06 00:13:38 UTC
Has anyone ever heard of the Dundee Scots, from Dundee Illionois?

Oh yea they were one of our biggest Competitors. I marched For Conant High School, They always gave us a good run for competition. heres a good read on them http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dundee_Scots

Janet Kruger
James B Conant High
Hoffman Estates, IL

1980
E***@gkschools.org
Andy
E***@gkschools.org
2017-06-08 16:32:50 UTC
Has anyone ever heard of the Dundee Scots, from Dundee Illionois?
I had never heard of them, but the person who messaged me said that they were
very well known and that they had won some kind of nationals on several
occasions.
Please give me any information you may have. Will be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Andy
Yes, I was in the color guard from 1969 to 1973. My sister was drum Major. We placed first 3 times at the Cherry Festival in Michigan. My sister shook hands with President Richard Nixon. Pat Nixon had lipstick on her teeth.

We had no summer vacation. We practiced every night from 6 to 10:30 PM. On weekends we boarded busses and travelled. During school we practiced every day and then at night as summer approached.

In Florida, we never went to Disneyland, we practiced. We never went to the beach, we practiced. One time in Michigan, we were allowed 2 hours of free time to visit the Festival. We came back 10 minutes late and got our butts chewed. I remember running so fast to rehearsal in the Holiday Inn parking lot, we almost ran over a little old lady on the construction sidewalk.

We ate salt tablets on a consistent basis because of the heat. Those wool uniforms were hot!

The goosebumps on my arms were enormous at the beginning of every drill competition as the announcer said......."And now ladies and gentlemen, the Dundee Scots"..............the roll of the snares would start the Pipes, and the colorguard would bring out the brass squads.

I loved the fog machine, coming out of the mist to the sound of pipes during mid-point, to face the audience, screaming and standing.

If we even got 3 tics from field marshalls we wanted to know who messed up.

Have you ever been yelled at 2 inches from your face? It was a glorious military education for me, and I look back on the experience and discipline from Doyle Heffron with fond memories.

Liz Moore (Weiss - 73)
d***@pestmasterfl.com
2020-03-08 21:00:06 UTC
My twin brother and I were bagpipers in the Scots in the 70,s. It was an incredible experience. We were fortunate to be surrounded by so many talened and motivated young people. We lost one competition the entire time we were Scots. It was so long ago now yet remember so many great times and experiences.